Saturday, September 21, 2013

Submission...

I often do my own thing almost to a flaw.. I tend to not like something purely because everyone else does. Truth is, I eventually fall in line if it is worthwhile... As an example I hated the jiggy/bling rap era in my youth but I turned into one of its biggest supporters. Some things are just inevitable. Sometimes following the natural progression is just right.. why fight it right?

I fight the cultural status quo because I am me!. Call me arrogant but I'd rather explore the alternatives and chose something that is more suited to me as an individual as opposed to something mass marketed to the public by "suits".  I will not just do something because everyone else does it, or because it is the "cool" or popular thing to do. I feel that it is a truth I have come to live by, often to my own detriment.

listening to a podcast on work etiquette earlier in the week.. One of the tips given was "first impressions are key when starting a new job... Be vibrant, Friendly, and Sociable" the concept kind of struck a nerve because I am often reclusive when I enter new environments, but over time.. I grow to be more than just a part of the establishment but the person that defines the establishment, which to me debunks the theory that first impressions are everything.
Sometimes things/places kind of grow on you... The Biggy "More money more problems" video and concept that I hated when I was younger,  I grew to love (proof).

Similarly I used to HATE Brooklyn with a passion, arrogant folk!!!! When you meet a person from Brooklyn outside of New York and you ask them where they are from? They will almost always respond "Brooklyn" not New York.. But Brooklyn! LIKE WHAT THE???!!! I hated the arrogance and separation from the rest of the city, so i screamed and loudly talked up my adopted home borough.. Queens! After all, my love affair with New York is primarily music based and my fav artists are from Qboro... Tribe, Nas, Mobb Deep, Run Dmc, etc... I even took exception to KRS1 saying "The Bridge (Queens Bridge) is over".

My first impressions of Brooklyn and "Brooklynites" made me hate them! I would get offended when people would ask me "What part of Brooklyn do you live in?" 

But

I started hanging out in Brooklyn... grew to love it... Stopped talking about Queens... My whole social life became Brooklyn based.  Started getting annoyed by the commute back to Queens. I found that Brooklyn spoke to me... There is just something about it and it's residents that warrants the attitude and behavior (true story).

This is my last Saturday night in queens and here I am cleaning my apartment in preparation for my move to Brooklyn. I never hung out in Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan spoke to me...Brooklyn more so...

... and I can't wait till I get the keys to my new apartment in Brooklyn...

I can see it when i go to Chicago next month..

"T where you from?"

Me "BROOKLYN!!!"












*whispers* "via Queens"


No comments: