Friday, October 1, 2021

Braai

 I wrote this for a friend...

 One making a cook book with friends, as part of their 40th celebration of life. She is a true creative and a good friend. 

 She asked me to contribute a recipe, the only thing I could think of writing about was my fascination (and joy) of burning dead animals. 

This is an edited/enhanced version of what I sent: 




I'm often referred to as the “Braii” master.

It's something I have enjoyed doing ever since I was a teenager and people often ask me what my recipe is and how/why the food  comes out as good as it does. 

It's really all about the process. 

Some people soak their meat in marinade over night, which is fine. I  prefer to do it on the day and on demand. 

The trick is to grill the meat for a little bit, then once it’s moist soak it in your marinade, the longer you can soak it, the better, while simultaneously grilling.. 

The best way to do it, is to have some of your meat on the fire and some basing in your marinade, then rotate. Move the meat on the fire into your marinade, then the meat from marinade into the fire and repeat several times.

It’s called Basing. Raw meat doesn’t absorb the marinade as well as slightly cooked/soft meat.. That’s really the trick. 

The problem is that it can be time consuming, it’s best to do with friends (Those who like to drink are preferable - assuming you have the alcohol to give them)*.

Culturally “Braaing” is more of a social event than a nourishment fulfilling endeavor. This process is really for people that have time (preferably on a sunny afternoon). 

That said a coal or wood fire is preferred, not only for the enhanced flavor, but the camaraderie built from starting a fire (unfortunately for veterans such as myself, sustainable fires are built very quickly)**.

The only other thing to factor in is to to use low heat… So if you are using a coal or wood fire, wait (have some drinks) until it’s a low fire… It’s a process (one that requires a healthy drink tolerance).

I use a lot of beer during my process, my marinade is beer based. Friends are essential during this process and they often require beer as well*.

I mix beer*, whatever spices I can find in the kitchen, some Worcester sauce and a little white vinegar for my base. I’m sure there is some sort of science behind the vinegar use, but the key here is beer. Everything tastes better with it. 

If the consistent beer mentions make you uncomfortable, the word can easily be replaced with wine***.


*If you choose to Braai without friends or alcohol, just stop and reevaluate your life. 

** Yes this is a brag, think of this next time your cousin spends 2 hours starting a fire. 

***This is totally dependent on everyone's proximity to pay day, the closer you are to or after payday Whiskey**** is preferred. 


**** To DRINK! Not for the meat, We stopped being savages in 2020







No comments: