Thursday, July 5, 2007

So.....

Initially being a momma’s boy, I was anti Hip-hop. When my older brothers where bumping KRS-1 and EPMD, I used to hate that stuff. But I Knew it and I knew the words. Used to spend Saturdays learning Kid-N-Play Dance moves with my cousins. But it was just something we did. It’s not like I loved it back then.

I guess I Was more into Whitney Houston, and Dolly Parton*, back then.

Then in 94 The Keith Murray album dropped, I think my older sister had the TLC album (the first one) on one side of the tape, and the other side had the Keith Murray album, “The Most Beautifulist thing in this world”. And we had this really hi-tech stereo system that could play a tape and when the one side finished it would automatically play what was on the other side of the album, so one weekend while my sis was cooking dinner, I was lying in bed sick, it automatically switched to the other side of the tape. So I listened, and this dude (keith Murray) had some mad lyrical stuff, with ridiculous vocabulary on it. I was vexed, intrigued, and captivated**!!! Then the song that got me was when he was rapping about going to NASA, stealing a space ship, redefined gravity, flew to mars, met some Martians, smoked with them and came back to Earth.

I guess it might have been the cough syrup, but it was the first time, I got into the whole music thing. Like really into it. Next thing you know I am spending my free time, with a pad and pen sitting by the radio, trying to write down the lyrics.

Stop, pause write, rewind, listen, pause, write down the words, rewind pause, fix broken tape from all the pausing and rewinding, listen to see if I got it, then have arguments with my brothers about whether he was saying “think think think” or “blink blink blink”,

More than a decade later, I guess its not cough syrup anymore, and thankfully not the “blunts”, but a glass of something, a dark room, some headphones, and this cool ass thing called the world wide interweb***, where I can just Google the words (or write some nonsense for people without lives to read). Basically not much has changed.

I guess the music will always be my true love, will always be there for me.




* Moms stuff

** Much like how you guys with nothing else better to do feel when u read my amazing

Nonsensical blog.

*** You might have heard of it

1 comment:

you said...

interesting story. and look at you now hip hop addict. thanks big sibs.