Monday, March 12, 2007

"D" League*

I tried to play ball today.

Note the operative word is "tried".

I left work motivated, practically ran home! Changed, dusted the cobwebs of my basketball! Got my new sneakers out, new shorts, new socks, and lucky underwear.

I checked to see if I still had some handles, bouncing merrily on my way to the courts.
Looking basketball fresh, with my fresh shorts, and old underwear.

On any playground, you have two leagues sometimes 3. You got the Pro's, Loosers/boozers/loosers/D leaguers and 8-year-old kids. I knew I could dominate if I went to play with the 8 year olds, but my pride wouldn’t let me**.

So I stood there for 5 minutes in my fresh pair of sneakers, and old underwear, watching the pro's play. I was bouncing the ball between my legs to show the pro's that I had some game, 20 minutes later no one chose me to be on their team. I can't understand why, especially since I was wearing socks that matched my fresh new shoes and lucky underwear. After I was passed over for a spot to play with the pros by some 8 year olds. I decided to go try my luck in the D- League\loosers, on the otherside of the court.

To be honest I wasn’t really trying to play, I just wanted to shoot around. I was happy they weren’t playing games in the d league, just shooting around. Well at least I just wanted to shoot around, after a while I was just trying to hit the damn ring. Forget making baskets!
Then I gave up on that and tried to just do lay ups. Thing is when people are shooting around at half court it’s usually from the 3 point line, and u don’t want to be the only dude trying to do lay ups. So I was trying to do some fancy windmill type lay ups. If anything, at least I succeeded in making some 8 year olds laugh, and show them how not to do a lay up.

Eventually tho, the D-leaguers decided to play a pick up game. I think I played okay, all my airballs looked like inside passes. I am not sure if the reason why they let me drive here and there was because they where afraid to step on my fresh sneakers, or the smell from the lucky underwear. Eitherway, I think I played better than I expected to.

Ru, I took Ur advice and took it easy. I can tell my body is gna hurt a lil tmrw. The target I set for myself is to be able to dunk by the end of the summer. Hopefully In a few more weeks, ill have enough confidence to play with the big boys again.





* The D has nothing to do with my high school nickname

** If you know that you are going to be schooled, its better you get schooled by the pro's.

5 comments:

Kiri said...

I would like to suggest a generous application of vaseline all over the body to improve aerodynamics and fluid consistency. I read an article in a Kenyan newspaper (yes, i am shifting blame, no Malawian ever admits these things.)that wearing no underwear makes your penis bigger. You could try that too. (I aplogise for reducing the tone of your blog to vaseline and sexual organs)

Kiri said...

for the record I am in transit in Kenya enroute to London London Town (gonna go down..)and really bored which is why I am defacing cyberspace with my debased musings.

Kiri said...

NB: the Kenyan article was just an aside... I was in no way making any reference to your manhood as I am clearly not in any position to comment.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pandave said...

well, tu, the pain is worst on the day after the day after you play...

and erm, please please keep the lucky underwear on... just throw it in the washer. i swear, luck doesn't wash off - then again you may want to wash off the karma of the airball...